Top Tips: In Room Toiletries
The tray of miniature hair and body care products are a staple of the guesthouse and bed and breakfast bedroom, but what will suit your business needs, miniature or refillable bottles?
All bathrooms sinks will need hand soap, but what else will you offer your guests? Bath and shower gel? Shampoo and conditioner? Body lotion? There are many factors to consider when planning your in room toiletry offering; cost, presentation, waste and the environment are all factors in need of your attention. Decisions, decisions!
The best place to start is to decide if you want to offer single use, miniature bottles and tubes or refillable dispenser bottles. There are pros and cons of each option.
Miniatures are the traditional offering in B&B and guesthouse bedrooms. A neat presentation tray provides guests with a great selection of toiletries, saves space in the bathroom and is considered ‘a nice touch’ as guests arrive into their room for the first time. There are still a number of considerations before choosing this option:
* Will one set of products last for the duration of your guests stay?
* Will you need to provide one set of products per guest staying in the room?
* Will you need to replenish their supplies each time you make the room up? Often, miniatures will find their way into your guests luggage as ‘take away’ items.
* Will the products be opened and only a small amount used, leaving you to throw products in the bin when your guests depart?
Another way to maximise your guest’s choice and minimise waste is to choose ‘two-in-one’ products; shampoo and conditioner, hair and body wash or bath and shower gel.
The alternative option is to choose refillable 300ml bottles which will be presented in a pump-top bottle in a dispenser bracket on the vanity unity and in the shower or bath. This option has higher set up costs due to the purchase of dispenser brackets, dispenser bottles and the large, 5lt refill bottles, however the longer terms benefits are significant:
* Large reduction of single use plastics; a great commitment to running a business which has less of an impact on the environment.
* Large reduction of wasted products, especially individually wrapped hand soaps, which would normally last a guest well over a week.
* Save time, 300ml bottle will normally only need to be topped up once a week, though we do recommend that you clean and polish the bottles every time you make your rooms up.
* After the initial set up costs, this is a more cost efficient option for your business on an ongoing basis.
The World’s Largest Hotel chain Marriott, has said, ‘Most of their hotels will be swapping single-use toiletry bottles for full-size, pump top bottles by December 2020.’ The move is expected to stop approximately 500 million mini bottles from going to landfill each year; a 30% annual reduction on the company’s amenity plastic usage. Kudos to Marriott.
Depending on the level of service you are offering, you may also wish to consider offering a wider range of guest amenities, including shoe shine sponges, shower caps, shaving kits or sewing sets. Alternatively, you may wish to keep these items in stock and make them available when requested by your guests.
Shop our miniature range:
* Envoque 20ml tube range
* Just For You 20ml tube range – offering excellent ‘two-in-one’ product choices
* Just For You 30ml bottle range
* Elsyl 40ml bottle range – also refillable from the Elsyl 5 litre bottles, so long as the labels are in reusable condition.
Shop our refillable range: